Hi! I am a graduate student at Stanford University.
Before that, I obtained a bachelor's degree with honours from the Department of Computer Science and Technology at Tsinghua University, and was a research assistant in the THUNLP Group. I was also very fortunate to closely collaborate with Prof. James Zou on BioNLP in 2018.
My research interests are natural language processing, machine learning, and its applications in multiple disciplines. I do believe these fields make invaluable contributions to the real world.
- 05/2019: Selected as the best oral presentation at 36th Tsinghua CS Forum for Graduate Students!
- 04/2019: How to infer thousands of diagnoses from EHRs? Check our paper in npj (Nature) Digital Medicine!
- 12/2018: Awarded the SenseTime Scholarship (USD 3,000). Thanks SenseTime Inc.!
- 10/2018: Awarded highly selective National Scholarship!
- 06/2018: Received Tsinghua Research Fellowship with a funding of 7,500 USD!
- Curriculum Vitae(Out of Date)
Department of Computer Science
Master of Science, Sep. 2019 - Jun. 2021 (Expected)
Visiting Researcher, Jun. 2018 - Sep. 2018
Department of Computer Science and Technology
Bachelor of Engineering, Aug. 2015 - Jul. 2019
Minor in Economics, Aug. 2016 - Jul. 2019
GPA: 3.86/4.00, Ranking 4/154
National Tsing Hua University
Department of Computer Science
Exchange Student, Jul. 2017 - Aug. 2017
- VetTag: improving automated veterinary diagnosis coding via large-scale language modeling. [PDF]
Yuhui Zhang, Allen Nie, Ashley Zehnder, Rodney Page, James Zou.
Nature Digital Medicine (2019).
- Jiuge: A Human-Machine Collaborative Chinese Classical Poetry Generation System. [PDF][DEMO]
Zhipeng Guo, Xiaoyuan Yi, Maosong Sun, Wenhao Li, Cheng Yang, Jiannan Liang, Huimin Chen, Yuhui Zhang, Ruoyu Li.
Association for Computational Linguistics: System Demonstrations (2019).
- Large-scale Generative Modeling to Improve Automated Veterinary Disease Coding. [PDF][POSTER]
Yuhui Zhang, Allen Nie, James Zou.
NIPS ML4H Workshop (2018).
- DeepTag: inferring diagnoses from veterinary clinical notes. [PDF]
Allen Nie, Ashley Zehnder, Rodney Page, Yuhui Zhang, A. Pineda, M. Rivas, C. Bustamante, James Zou.
Nature Digital Medicine (2018).
- THUOCL: Tsinghua Open Chinese Lexicon. [LINK]
Shiyi Han, Yuhui Zhang, Yunshan Ma, Cunchao Tu, Zhipeng Guo, Zhiyuan Liu, Maosong Sun.
Technical Report (2016).
Clinical NLP: Improving Automated Disease Coding Via Language Modeling
Manual coding is time-consuming and expensive. We develop large-scale algorithm to automatically predict standard disease codes from free text. We train our algorithm on a new specially curated dataset of over 100K expert labeled veterinary notes and over one million unlabeled notes. Our algorithm is based on an adapted Transformer architecture, and we demonstrate that large-scale language modeling on the unlabeled notes via pretraining and auxiliary objective greatly improves performance.
Text KBQA: Utilizing free text to improve KBQA
Question answering has been a long-standing problem in natural language processing. Structured knowledge base and unstructured free text are two primary resources for answering questions. However, limited works have explored combining these two approaches. We adopt text-based relation extraction methods using natural language support sentences generated from Wikipedia to improve the performance of KBQA system.
Hall of Fame: Inferring Political Attitudes Using Weibo Data
The micro-blogging service Weibo has become one of the most important communication areas in China, and a large amount of information is publicly available: the content of their messages and who they decide to follow. We train our model in a semi-supervised fashion based on the expert-annotated labels and follow matrix. We explore the application of recommendation algorithms like Bayesian Personalized Ranking and matrix factorization in social network analysis.
- 2019 Best Oral Presentation Award (Presented VetTag at 36th Tsinghua CS Forum for Graduate Students) [slides]
- 2019 Research Career Award (Awarded from Tsinghua CS)
- 2018 National Scholarship (Top 0.2% in China, Highest Honor for Undergraduate)
- 2018 SenseTime Scholarship for Outstanding AI Research (Top 30 in China)
- 2018 Qualcomm Scholarship for Excellent Research (Top 33/3300 in Tsinghua)
- 2018 Tsinghua Research Fellowship for Outstanding Students (Top 50/3300 in Tsinghua)
- 2018 Outstanding Comprehensive Performance Scholarship (Top 8/153 in Dept. of CS)
- 2018 Excellent Social Practice Scholarship (Top 1/153 in Dept. of CS)
- 2017 China Scholarship Council Excellent Undergraduate Fellowship (Top 4500 in China)
- 2017 Outstanding Comprehensive Performance Scholarship (Top 8/153 in Dept. of CS)
- 2016 Excellent Academic Performance Scholarship (Top 15/153 in Dept. of CS)
- 2016 Excellent Social Practice Scholarship (Top 2/153 in Dept. of CS)
- 2015 Freshman Scholarship (Top 150/3300 in Tsinghua)
- 2014 National Chemistry Olympiad Finals 1st Prize (Top 0.1% in China)
I enjoy reading a wide range of books. My favorite books: To Live (Hua Yu), Walden (Henry David Thoreau), Principles of Economics (N. Gregory Mankiw). I enjoy running and swimming after hard work. I love classical music, and I learned to play the guitar, piano, and pipa at Tsinghua University.